Territory of programme implementation: The implementation territory of the local LEADER+ programme comprises mostly mountain regions in the prefecture of Chalkidiki, as well as selected disadvantaged areas on a level of Municipalities neighbouring with the mountain regions. From a point of administrative organization, the implementation territory includes the administrative boundaries of six (6) Local Administration Organisations (Anthemounta, Zervohoria, Polygyros which is the capital of the prefecture and the seat of the Local Administration Authority, Arnaia, Panagia and Stageira-Akanthos), as well as selected Municipalities from four (4) Local Administration Organisations (Moudania, Sithonia, Triglia and Ormylia) of the Prefecture of Chalkidiki. Area: 1,756.4 thousand stremma (17.564 hectares).Population: 42,731 (National Statistics Agency 2001).
Programme Objectives The first objective of the local operational programme is to “achieve regional competitiveness through innovative exploitation of the local capital and an increase in the added value of the local production”. Second objective of the local operational programme is to “increase the number of visitors to the area through the exploitation of its developmental comparative advantages and the creation of partnerships and links”.
The programme is structured around a central theme; that of joining forces. The “Joined Forces” Theme of the Local Programme: “Exploitation of local resources, products and services within quality standards and boosting the inter-departmental, inter-sectional and inter-territorial collaborations which aim to facilitate access to markets”.
Programme Title: “The other Chalkidiki: Excellence in quality” Financial data: (in euro) Total cost: 10.564.654.63 Public expenses: 7.182.275.00 Community contribution: 5.080.299.35 National Contribution (agriculture Ministry) 2.101.975.65 Own contribution: 3.382.379.63
To this day, LAG – ANETXA S.A. has integrated 43 investment plans in its local programme. More specifically, the following plans have been integrated
· SIX (6) “TRADITIONAL FARMS WITH INFRASTRUCTURE FOR OVERNIGHT ACCOMMODATION OF GUESTS
· ONE (1) “LOCAL CENTRE FOR THE ORGANISATION, INFORMATION AND PROMOTION OF AGRO-TOURISM”
· FOUR (4) “IMPROVEMENTS TOAGRO-TOURISM CATERING ESTABLISHMENTS FOR ADJUSTMENT TO CERTIFICATION OR NETWORKING REQUIREMENTS”
· ONE (1) “RELOCATION AND MODERNIZATION OF A TRADITIONAL ALUMINUM CRAFT-SHOP”
· FIVE (5) “ENTERPRISES FOR PROCESSING AND PACKAGING OF LOCAL PRODUCE”
· ONE (1) “LABORATORY FOR THE PRODUCTION OF ESSENTIAL OILS” · ONE (1) “THEMATIC PARK FOR THE PROJECTION OF TRADITIONAL CRAFTS”
· ONE (1) “UNIT FOR THE PRODUCTION OF ORGANIC FERTILIZER USING WASTE FROM A FISHERY UNIT”
· ONE (1) “UNIT FOR THE REMOVAL OF TRACES OF ARSENIC FROM THE PUBLIC WATER SUPPLY”
· FOUR (4) “ENTERPRISES FOR THE PROVISION OF SERVICES IN SUPPORT OF THE SOCIAL ECONOMY AND SOCIAL SERVICE”
ONE (1) “NETWORK OF KINDRED OR SUPPLEMENTARY ENTERPRISES (CLUSTERS)”
· ONE (1) “CONTROLLED DESIGNATION OF ORIGIN’ (DOC) DOSSIER AND SYSTEM TO SUPPORT-MONITOR-INFORM-ALERT PRODUCERS REGARDING THE CHEESE OF CHALKIDIKI”
· ONE (1) “CONTROLLED DESIGNATION OF ORIGIN (DOC) DOSSIER FOR THE OLIVE VARIETIES OF CHALKIDIKI AND DEVELOPMENT OF SUPPORTING STUDIES FOR THE PROMOTION OF THE PRODUCT”
· ONE (1) “MARKET SURVEY TO IDENTIFY THE TRENDS OF THE EXISTING TOURISM MARKET FOR AGRO-TOURISM ACTIVITIES”
· TWO (2) “INVESTMENT PLANS FOR PROJECTION AND PROMOTION”
· TWO (2) “INVESTMENT PLANS FOR THE EXPLOITATION, PROJECTION AND PROTECTION OF AREAS OF EXCEPTIONAL BEAUTY”
· THREE (3) “WALKING PATHS” · ONE (1) “DISPLAY AREA TO EXHIBIT FOREST SCIENCE – FAUNA AND FLORA – FOREST ACTIVITIES AND NATURAL RESOURCES IN THE AREA OF MT. HOLOMON”
· FIVE (5) “PARKS OF ENVIRONMENTAL AND CULTURAL EDUCATION AND ALERTNESS OF RESIDENTS AND VISITORS TO COMMON VALUES OF CULTURE, TRADITION AND SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT”
· ONE (1) “INVESTMENT PLAN FOR THE SIGNING OF TOURIST SITES-MONUMENTS AND THE ESTABLISHMENT OF A PAVILION FOR THE DISTRIBUTION OF INFORMATION MATERIAL”