Spectacular geological heritage sites, unspoiled natural beauty and cultural landscapes
Mithymna Volcanic Stone, Lesvos Island UNESCO Global Geopark
Have you ever seen an Ichthyosaurus skeleton, blanket bog, petrified forest or an Iron Age hill fort? What about a volcano, ice cave or fossilized rhino footprint? Would you enjoy recreational tours by bicycle, raft or foot through impressive geological landscapes and visits to fascinating and educational visitor centers? If so, come and visit one or all of the 70 geoparks across Europe, and get to know the unique dynamics of the European Geopark Network.
Psiloritis Natural Park - UNESCO Global Geopark
Two new trends mark the growing success of the geopark concept. First, tourists are increasingly looking for new experiences that put them in close contact with the natural world. Second, people are beginning to realize that the geological heritage of their regions can be a source of sustainable economic benefit to their communities. This shift in thinking about geological heritage physical landscapes and tourism has been facilitated by the creation of the European Geoparks Network. Their idea is that geoconservation can lead to sustainable local development through geotourism.
Dragon Lake οf Tymfi Mount Smolikas, Vikos - Aoos UNESCO Global Geopark
According to UNESCO, geoparks are areas with a significant geological heritage that can also include sites of natural and cultural interest.
These parks play an active role in the development of their territories by strengthening the general image of geological heritage as well as in the development of geotourism. They are simultaneously involved in educating not only tourists and the general public about their physical environment, but also students from primary to university levels. Their facilities provide a place for academic research and cooperation in the fields surrounding geoconservation.
Kato Zakros, Sitia UNESCO Global Geopark
The UNESCO Global Geoparks Network and European Geoparks Network organize annually an intensive course on Geoparks. The course is open to Geopark staff members with a degree in Geosciences, to PhD and Master students working on geopark, geotourism, geosite, geomorphosite and landscape topics, as well as to Geoscientists having a special interest on the topic Geoparks.
Their common goal was to promote geoparks as quality tourist attractions with a high educational, cultural and recreational value.
With the financial support of LEADER+, the European Geoparks Network created several common events.
Development of common pedagogical kits and especially adapted educational activities for all levels.
European geoparks week - exciting events organized the first week of June all over Europe as a joint celebration of the network.
Exchange of exhibitions and know-how among network partners,
Organization of events and touristic promotional activities.
The results of the European Geoparks Network's efforts, which combine protection of geological heritage with sustainable territorial development of rural areas, make up a new and much needed perspective in local development policies. They have opened up a new and exciting field of tourism, where the benefits can be shared by visitors, locals, and academics and where the physical environment is valued again for the its beauty, history and power to sustain us.
There are five UNESCO Global Geoparks in Greece
You are invited to explore the Greek UNESCO Global Geoparks with us.
We hope to see you soon!
Sustainable development and Geotourism
European Geoparks Network Member List September 2015
1. Haute-Provence Geopark – France
2. Vulkaneifel Geopark – Germany
3. Lesvos Island Geopark – Greece
5. Psiloritis Natural Park – Greece
6. Natur- und Geopark TERRA.vita – Germany
7. Copper Coast Geopark – Ireland
8. Marble Arch Caves Global Geopark – Ireland
9. Madonie Geopark – Italy
10. Rocca di Cerere Geopark – Italy
11. Natur-und Geopark Steirische Eisenwurzen – Austria
12. Bergstrasse-Odenwald Geopark – Germany
13. North Pennines AONB European Geopark – UK
14. Luberon, Parc Naturel Regional – France
15. North West Highlands Geopark – Scotland, UK
16. Swabian Albs Geopark – Germany
17. Geopark Harz . Braunschweiger Land. Ostfalen – Germany
18. Hateg Country Dinosaurs Geopark – Romania
19. Parco Del Beigua – Italy
20. Fforest Fawr Geopark – UΚ
21. Bohemian Paradise – Czech Republic
22. Cabo de Gata – Nijar Natural Park – Andalucia, Spain
23. Naturtejo Geopark – Portugal
24. Sierras Subbeticas Natural Park & UNESCO Global Geopark – Andalucia, Spain
25. Sobrarbe Geopark – Aragon, Spain
26. Gea Norvegica Geopark – Norway
27. Geological, Mining Park of Sardinia – Italy
28. Papuk Geopark – Croatia
29. English Riviera Geopark – UK
30. Parco Naturale Adamello Brenta – Italy
31. GeoMôn GeoPark – Wales, UK
32. Arouca Geopark – Portugal
33. Geopark Shetland – Scotland, UK
34. Chelmos–Vouraikos Geopark – Greece
35. Novohrad – Nograd Geopark – Hungary/Slovakia
36. Magma Geopark – Norway
37. Basque Coast Geopark – Spain
38. Parco Nazionale del Cilento e Vallo di Diano – Italy
39. Rokua Geopark – Finland
40. Tuscan Mining Park – Italy
41. Vikos – Aoos Geopark – Greece
42. Muskau Arch Geopark – Germany/Poland
43. Sierra Norte de Sevilla Natural Park – Spain
44. Burren and Cliffs of Moher – Ireland
45. Katla Geopark – Iceland
46. Massif des Bauges Geopark – France
47. Apuan Alps – Italy
48. Villuercas-Ibores-Jara – Spain
49. Carnic Alps Geopark – Austria
50. Chablais Geopark – France
51. Central Catalunya Geopark – Spain
52. Bakony-Balaton Geopark – Hungary
53. Azores Geopark Portugal
54. Karavanke/Karawanken – Slovenia & Austria
55. Idrija Geopark – Slovenia
56. Hondsrug Geopark – Netherlands
57. Sesia - Val Grande Geopark – Italy
58. Kula Geopark – Turkey
59. Molina and Alto Tajo Geopark – Spain
60. El Hierro Geopark – Spain
61. Monts d’Ardèche – France
62. Erz der Alpen – Austria
63. Odsherred Geopark – Denmark
64. Terras de Cavaleiros Geopark – Portugal
65. Lanzarote and Chinijo Islands Geopark – Spain
66. Reykjanes Global Geopark – Iceland
67. Geopark of Pollino – Italy
69. Sitia Geopark – Greece
69. Troodos Geopark – Cyprus
70. Causses du Quercy – France
71. Las Loras – Spain
Intensive Courses on Geoparks - Lesvos Greece