...in vineyards surrounded by idyllic landscape blessed with a privileged microclimate...
In the beautiful land of Northern Greece, where nature and humans live in harmonious co-existence, in vineyards surrounded by idyllic landscape blessed with a privileged microclimate, wine, a basic and omnipresent element of the Greek culture, has been produced in abundance.
Created through the joint efforts of the members of the Wine Producers Association of the Northern Greece Vineyard, the Wine Roads of Northern Greece are a pioneering project comprising wine roads that lead from divine Mt. Olympus to Byzantine Thessaloniki and beguiling Chalkidiki, from Epirus to distant Thrace.
Aimed at seeking solutions for best suiting farming regions, the project assists in the development and implementation of sustained growth measures in wine-producing areas, the establishment of folk museums, the publication of books and the organisation of various cultural events directly linked to Greek history, local festivities, customs and tradition.
Undertaking a multi-faceted project with the support of the Community Project Leader II, WPANGV contributes to the development of an enological education through various activities such as mapping out tourist routes in the Northern Greek region defining the spots of enological and cultural interest, educating hospitality and food-service rofessionals about wine, participating in international companies and associations of the sector, sponsoring gastronomical and cultural events and conferences, participating in international fairs in Greece and abroad and romoting the tourist products of the Wine Roads.
Archaeological sites, chapels, monasteries, museums and many areas of cultural significance provide the background, while along the wine roads restaurants, taverns, ouzo bars and hotels complete the acquaintance with the Northern Greek land, its products and its culture.
A valuable dietary item with great nutritional value for the physical and spiritual wellbeing, the wine has played a key role in the social life of Greeks since prehistoric times. This gift from God to the Macedonian land has been an integral part of Greece's history, art and customs.
So all you wine-lovers, captives of wine's magical attraction and culture, are invited to visit and follow the magnificent Wine Roads of Northern Greece.
The members of WPANGV are:
- Aidarinis Christos, Domaine Goumenissa
- Association of the agricultural Co-Ops of Amynteon
- Association of the agricultural Co-Ops of Ioannina (Zitsa Ioannina)
- Dalamaras Winery (Naousa)
- Domaine A. Babatzimopoulos (Agxialos)
- Domaine Alfa (Amyndaio)
- Domaine Carras (Sithonia Chalkidikis)
- Domaine Chrissochoou (Naousa)
- Domaine Founti (Naousa)
- Domaine Gerovassiliou (Epanomi)
- Domaine Glinabos (Zitsa Ioannina)
- Domaine Katsarou (Krania Larisas)
- Domaine Pavlidi (Drama)
- Domaine Tatsi (Goumenissa)
- Domaine Technis Oinou Mikrochoriou (Drama)
- Domaine Vivlia Hora (Kokkinohori Kavala)
- Domaine Voyiatzi (Velvento Kozani)
- Domaine Ligas (Giannitsa)
- J. Boutaris & Son (Naousa - Goumenissa)
- Katogi strofilia (Metsobo - Ioannina)
- Kechris (Kalochori Thessalonikis)
- Kir Yianni (Naousa)
- Maronia (Rodopi)
- Tsantalis (Papsani, Naousa, Agios Pavlos Chalkidiki)
- Vaeni Naoussa