View Larger Map
Lush vegetation, monuments, culture, history, legends and traditions, traditional settlements, Natura areas, the sea and the people coexist harmoniously in one of the most beautiful regions in Greece, the prefecture of Magnesia.
The wealth with which nature has generously endowed this land, the beauty of the landscape with constantly alternating scenery unique for each season of the year, a privileged geographical position, the history and culture, high quality in provided services and the great variety of alternative forms of year-round tourism, such as: touring, congressional, cultural, biking, sports, horse-back riding, mountain climbing, ecotourism, sea tourism, diving, religious and gastronomical tourism, form the comprehensive proposal that Magnesia offers visitors for their holidays or small escapades at:
* The “Mountain of the Centaurs“ - Mt. Pelion. It impresses visitors with its twenty four quaint head-villages, its “mansions” of unique architecture, cobblestone alleys, ski centre, quaint steam-engine train, and a centre for mountain activities that offers alternative sport and recreation proposals.
* North Sporades island complex. With its charming beaches, the beautiful and idyllic island of Skiathos is one of the most cosmopolitan in Greece, maintaining its traditional charm and architectural heritage and offering top quality tourism.
* Skopelos, the island of the 360 chapels, splendid beaches and impressive traditional women’s costumes, promises endless hours of leisure and recreation.
* Alonissos, verdant, serene, unique in flora and fauna, an ecological heaven on earth, constitutes an ideal holiday destination in a natural environment preserved and protected by its inhabitants.
* The Marine Park of the North Sporades. One of the few biotopes providing shelter to the Mediterranean seal monachus-monachus, invites visitors to magical tours.
* The Olympic city of Volos, capital of the prefecture of Magnesia, is a large, contemporary and dynamic city, located in one of the most beautiful areas in Greece, charming visitors at first sight.
* The “unchartered“ Magnesia. Mt. Othris with the quaint villages of Almyros, Pteleos, Sourpi and the traditional head-villages of the Thessalian plain, Velestino and Karla, promise visitors a pleasant surprise.
Magnesia is a challenge for the visitor to discover the area’s ancient and contemporary civilization. The Museums, the Archaeological sites, the wonderful Byzantine and post-Byzantine churches and monasteries, the rich culture and traditions, such as the “Pilioreitic Wedding”, the “Mays” (a traditional mimic and dancing custom that symbolizes nature’s rebirth in Spring), the local festivals, the contemporary activities; all of the above offer a plethora of interesting activities for the visitors.
Holidays and relaxation at the sandy beaches of the Aegean, the Pagasetic Gulf or at the picturesque islands Skiathos, Skopelos and Alonissos, riding the little steam-train, wandering around the alleys, sea sports, cruises and swimming in the crystal-clear waters, mountain climbing, ski, horse-back riding, traditional culinary delights at the local taverns and the famous “tsipouradika”.
Regardless of season, Magnesia is... Magnetizing.